Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planned Content

5 posters

Go down

Planned Content Empty Planned Content

Post  Canary Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:52 am

Please list any major additions you plan to make to existing articles, or any new articles you intend to make on the wiki here.
Canary
Canary
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Planned Content Empty Re: Planned Content

Post  Almael Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 pm

I would like to add map material and more details thereof. I have noticed that many people do not really understand the existence of the corridors due to lack of a galaxy map.
Almael
Almael
Ward
Ward

Back to top Go down

Post  Canary Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:48 pm

We've actually had quite a bit of discussion and a small amount of work put into map stuff.

Basically, there are a lot of maps floating around out there. a LOT of maps. And many of them... are contradictory. Basically, what we've decided to do is to make our own map.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] page for details. Basically, I decided the only real way to go about making our own map was to take as many screenshots of the maps from the OVAs, and try to establish a map SOLELY from that material. It will be a bit of a puzzle, considering we'll have to "fit" each screen together, resizing as necessary, to get a crude image. Once We've made a single giant image with screencaps, I would use photoshop to make a "cleaner" version.

Needless to say, I haven't had the time to put in much work lately, and have also been focusing on other aspects of the wiki.

If you do want to go through with this, I would suggest following the same basic course of action--cutting and pasting maps from the OVAs together to form a "complete" map. I may have some more screens saved on one of my computers somewhere... I'll look for them. If you do start working on it, post your results in the talk page every so often so we can A) collaborate, and B) double-check the work.

There's also some speculative crap I want to get out some time on the nature of corridors and warp tech, but I think right now we need to focus on galactic geography first.
Canary
Canary
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Planned Content Empty Whether you are still working on the translations

Post  reinhardtyaung Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:42 pm

I've tried translated the novels from Chinese editions a little bit just for fun and then saw your websites. What you guys are doing is amazing. I am wondering whether you are still keep translating them and where I can start to help. Very Happy

reinhardtyaung
Ward
Ward

Back to top Go down

Post  kine Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:09 am

Hey there! I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you, i hadn't checked the forum in a while.

Firstly, thanks for your compliments!

As far as the Chinese translation, i believe [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (link) is doing the majority of the work in that area. Most of us don't know any Chinese, so he would be the one to talk to regarding that.

Hope that helps. Cheers

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Namefield Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:02 am

I'm not sure how active these forums are, but I was wondering about the novel translations. In the mid 1990s someone started a fan project to translate the novels and had been posting them to their student page at Berkeley.edu. They completed the entirety of the first book, Dawn. They also completed most of the second book, Ambition, and part of what they had called 'Spiral Maze.' I don't know if Peter Tan didn't like this translation and decided to redo it or if he was simply unaware that it had completed at one point in the past. I was waiting on someone to update the translation page with the rest of the work but I'm beginning to think perhaps no one remembers this or no one else saved the files.

I cannot vouch for quality and accuracy of the translations, as I cannot read a word of either Chinese or Japanese, but comparing the work on the first book between what is posted here and the Berkeley script, they seem largely the same in content if quite different in phrasing and tone. Understandable as the translators are different. For example the first line of the first chapter from Peter is:

'The moment when Galactic Empire’s Captain Siegfried Kircheis stepped onto the bridge, he stopped. The infinite specks of light from the deep universe overwhelmingly surrounded him. '

The first line from other is:

'Galactic Empire Fleet Captain Sigfried Kircheis paused as he stepped onto the bridge, as if considering something. Inscrutable universe, decorated by glittering points of light, surrounded his whole body with the sense of awe for sheer quantity.'

My question is, do you want the translations for book two and Spiral Labyrinth?

Also, cheers on that new series announcement. You'll probably see quite a spike in traffic soon.
Namefield
Namefield
Ward
Ward

Back to top Go down

Post  kine Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:33 am

I am indifferent to the translations. I don't really feel like they should be hosted on a wiki, especially because they are probably (?) in violation of IP laws, but i don't care enough to make any particular decision about them.

I would suggest pointing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to your question.

PS: Thanks for your interest!

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Namefield Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:33 am

All right, will do. I can't say I know a lot about wiki editing but I just leave a message on his page, correct?

I can understand having reservations about IP laws when dealing with the content of books posted, more or less, in their entirety. However, the website that once hosted them has been gone since around 2000 and I couldn't really think of a better place for them where someone who might want to read them would be able to find them as they are, to the best of my knowledge, no longer available anywhere else. It seems a bit of a pity given the work that went into them.

I should be thanking you for your interest and not the other way around. I've loved the series since I first saw it but I'm afraid I have no great depth of knowledge and own no books that have not already been scanned and dissected. It's all I can do to simply wish you the best.
Namefield
Namefield
Ward
Ward

Back to top Go down

Post  kine Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:10 am

Yeah, just start a new section on his page, leave your message, make sure to sign it with ~~~~ (four tildes).

It is too bad that some of this translation work hasn't seen more publicity, i agree. I also agree that i can't think of a better place off the top of my head — LOGH Info Center isn't updated any more, so we're kind of it. Even that situation is kind of unfortunate; i definitely don't feel we have the man-power to really do LOGH justice. We're getting there, thanks to the few great contributors we have, but there are only so many and you can only put so much in without getting burnt out.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum