Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Admin Rights?

3 posters

Go down

Admin Rights? Empty Admin Rights?

Post  Vympel Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:40 am

I'm wondering if I could get some Admin Rights to make some needed changes to the ship classifications. I've posted about the problem in Talk but it'd be much quicker this way.

For an idea of how much I love LOGH:-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's my thread where I have accounts of every battle in the series, with screenshots, which I'm doing purely for fun. Next update (I'm doing them monthly now) is coming in a couple of days - I'm going that slow only because I want time for Central Anime to finish the DVD rips of the relevant episodes, for quality screenshots (which I intend to use for updating the Wiki as well).

So yeah, I can help and I've got the time currently.

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Admin Rights? Empty Re: Admin Rights?

Post  Canary Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:13 am

Probably a good idea to post here. I hardly ever look at the talk pages. I'll fiddle around w/ admin rights in a moment or so, so you should be good to go.
Canary
Canary
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Vympel Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks for the Admin rights dude. Will our user data be brought over to the new site?

Good thing you put up that notice. I was on quite a roll with the warship stuff Smile

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  kine Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Vympel wrote:Thanks for the Admin rights dude. Will our user data be brought over to the new site?

Good thing you put up that notice. I was on quite a roll with the warship stuff :)
Hi there!

I don't want to speak for Canary, but since i suspect that my sleep schedule coincides more with yours than his does, and i'm in a position to know certain things:

1. He and i have been talking for a bit and would like to move to a non-Wikia site as soon as we're able. We have some more work to do before this is finalised but i hope to have it ready shortly.

2. Since the new site is non-Wikia and its category/article structure is significantly different from the current LOGH Wiki's, the user data will not be transferred automatically. You will need to re-register. However, if what you are concerned about is your edit count, i might be able to manually bring that over. But i'll have to double-check to make sure it won't cause any database problems.

Let me know if you have any other questions and i will try to answer them (although i would prefer not to speak of things that are still undecided of course).

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Vympel Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Fair enough. It'd be nice to have my edit count moved over but I don't really mind. Can't wait for the new site to be up so I can get back to contributing / editing.

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Vympel Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:58 pm

I see the original wiki is largely cleared, including the front page. How long until the new site is ready for contributions?

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Vympel Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 am

I've signed up to the new Wiki. Will the changes I made on the old wiki be carried over, or should I just get to work again? If the former, I might add some new pages whilst waiting. Also, will screenshots be brought over?

Anyways, could I get Admin rights again? (currently I note the Imperial /FPA warship classifications are all messed up again, sorry*)

* In particular:-

The progression of the standard (i.e. non-unique) ships in the Imperial and Alliance fleets go, from largest to smallest (not including the carriers), like this:-

Battleship (e.g. Ulysses for the Alliance, Morholt for the Empire)
Cruiser (no controversy here)
Destroyer (see below)

This is in line with normal naval parlance - destroyers simply aren't bigger than battleships.

Currently, what's currently called a "Destroyer" for both the Empire and the Alliance should be "Battleship" (Schlact Schiff in German, or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]). Currently the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Zerstorer) in the Imperial fleet is called a "Frigate" (a classification that simply doesn't exist, AFAIK, in LOGH). The real destroyer for the Alliance fleet is seen a couple of times in the series:-

(here it is in Overture to a New War)

I've managed to find a Japanese website with the little side-view .gifs used for *all* the ships btw (and which confirms the proper ship classifications), but I'm not sure if its cool to take them or not.

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  kine Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Vympel wrote:I've signed up to the new Wiki. Will the changes I made on the old wiki be carried over, or should I just get to work again?
Not sure what you mean — the pages on Gineipaedia should be (almost) the same as the versions that were on LOGH Wiki as of yesterday.

Vympel wrote:If the former, I might add some new pages whilst waiting.
Go for it!

Vympel wrote:Also, will screenshots be brought over?
Some of them already have, they just aren't added to the articles — [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. The others i think are still on the old wiki, if you want to go hunting for them — but to be honest a lot of them were poor quality and/or fan-made and/or unsourced.

Vympel wrote:Anyways, could I get Admin rights again? (currently I note the Imperial /FPA warship classifications are all messed up again, sorry*)
I will add you in a bit

Vympel wrote:Currently, what's currently called a "Destroyer" for both the Empire and the Alliance should be "Battleship" (Schlact Schiff in German, or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]). Currently the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (Zerstorer) in the Imperial fleet is called a "Frigate" (a classification that simply doesn't exist, AFAIK, in LOGH). The real destroyer for the Alliance fleet is seen a couple of times in the series:-
To be honest, i haven't seen very much canon basis at all for a lot of this stuff. I mean i know i've seen 'destroyer' in the subtitles, but i'm not sure about the others. So i would not shed a tear if every one of those ship-class articles was deleted. However, we thought it'd be good to at least have the text on hand, in case we need it. (If you delete any of them, can you save the text somewhere first? Like create a page called User:Vympel/ship classes or something, and copy/paste it all there.)

Our goal is to be true to 'canon' on Gineipaedia — similar to how Memory Alpha is set up, if you're familiar with that — so anything that can't be verified from the official sources should be removed. (Information from licensed models and books can go in the 'Apocrypha' or 'Background information' sections though.)

Vympel wrote:I've managed to find a Japanese website with the little side-view .gifs used for *all* the ships btw (and which confirms the proper ship classifications), but I'm not sure if its cool to take them or not.
I'd be interested in seeing that, if you've got a link. I've been trying to find the source of those images!

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Vympel Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Not sure what you mean — the pages on Gineipaedia should be (almost) the same as the versions that were on LOGH Wiki as of yesterday.

Some of them are, some of them seem to be a bit older - for example I could've sworn I fixed the Wilhelmina typo weeks ago, but it was still there on the new site. Oh well, that reminds me to fix it Smile Not a big deal.

Some of them already have, they just aren't added to the articles — see here. The others i think are still on the old wiki, if you want to go hunting for them — but to be honest a lot of them were poor quality and/or fan-made and/or unsourced.

I was mostly thinking of my screenshots which I was using to replace a lot of those poor quality ones before the change - I took them directly from the DVD rip so they're pretty much the best quality we can get. Again, no big deal, I still have them on my HDD and can always make more!

To be honest, i haven't seen very much canon basis at all for a lot of this stuff. I mean i know i've seen 'destroyer' in the subtitles, but i'm not sure about the others. So i would not shed a tear if every one of those ship-class articles was deleted. However, we thought it'd be good to at least have the text on hand, in case we need it. (If you delete any of them, can you save the text somewhere first? Like create a page called User:Vympel/ship classes or something, and copy/paste it all there.)

Our goal is to be true to 'canon' on Gineipaedia — similar to how Memory Alpha is set up, if you're familiar with that — so anything that can't be verified from the official sources should be removed. (Information from licensed models and books can go in the 'Apocrypha' or 'Background information' sections though.)

Give LOGH licensed material is so, well, limited, I don't think it'd be too hard to cite the sources - they almost all come from the ship miniatures, really (and I've got all the ones Wright Staff has released so far except the original Vol. 1, heh heh). Its a lot like Memory Alpha, actually - most of the -class names and ship dimensions and what not have never been explicitly stated in Star Trek canon, just licensed material, but all the fans know them and accept them as factual, so its all good.

Maybe a general notation as to where ship dimensions (and crew numbers, the Wright Staff Fleet File booklets detail the crew of each ship too) etc. come from is required?

I'd be interested in seeing that, if you've got a link. I've been trying to find the source of those images!

Here you go:-

Alliance:-

Empire:-

Really good website (for being in Japanese, lol!)- most of the dimensions listed I can confirm by reference to the miniatures that have been released, but some of them I can't because they may have been gotten from the stats for the older version of the miniatures done by a different company. But the thing with the names is also very useful.

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Vympel Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Oh, I forgot re: classifications - I'll keep the text of anything I get rid of, but yeah, the battleship / cruiser / destroyer designations - at the very least - are all from the series itself (the licensed material from Alba Create obviously likes having a little 'flourish' with their German for the Imperial ships, heh, but the Alliance stuff they make is all named in English). Whilst the Ulysses (standard Alliance battleship) is called a 'cruiser' in the fansub once or twice, it (and ships like it) are more consistently called a battleship, but otherwise the ship classifications within the series are 100% consistent whenever they're used, for both the Alliance and the Empire.

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  kine Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Vympel wrote:Some of them are, some of them seem to be a bit older - for example I could've sworn I fixed the Wilhelmina typo weeks ago, but it was still there on the new site. Oh well, that reminds me to fix it :) Not a big deal.
Oh, i'm not sure why that would be. If you see any more serious discrepancies, let me know.

I was mostly thinking of my screenshots which I was using to replace a lot of those poor quality ones before the change - I took them directly from the DVD rip so they're pretty much the best quality we can get. Again, no big deal, I still have them on my HDD and can always make more!
If you still have them on your drive i would probably just re-upload them; it'd be faster. Make sure to follow the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], if you possibly could. (You can do batch uploads with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but then each individual description has to be changed.)

Give LOGH licensed material is so, well, limited, I don't think it'd be too hard to cite the sources - they almost all come from the ship miniatures, really (and I've got all the ones Wright Staff has released so far except the original Vol. 1, heh heh). Its a lot like Memory Alpha, actually - most of the -class names and ship dimensions and what not have never been explicitly stated in Star Trek canon, just licensed material, but all the fans know them and accept them as factual, so its all good.
Yeah, that's definitely my inspiration.

Maybe a general notation as to where ship dimensions (and crew numbers, the Wright Staff Fleet File booklets detail the crew of each ship too) etc. come from is required?
Absolutely — everything on the site should be sourced. Our citation guide lines are also inspired by Memory Alpha, so given you're familiar with those i don't think there'll be any issues!

Here you go:-
Thank you! These are pretty decent images so it'd be useful to add them to Gineipaedia... but we need to get this guy's permission first. :/ I'm not conversational in Japanese, though — are you?

otherwise the ship classifications within the series are 100% consistent whenever they're used, for both the Alliance and the Empire.
K, if it can be sourced i am down. Citations of episodes would be brilliant for these if we can find them of course

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Vympel Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 pm

kine wrote:
If you still have them on your drive i would probably just re-upload them; it'd be faster. Make sure to follow the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], if you possibly could. (You can do batch uploads with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but then each individual description has to be changed.)

Sure, I'll start doing that over the next few days.

Absolutely — everything on the site should be sourced. Our citation guide lines are also inspired by Memory Alpha, so given you're familiar with those i don't think there'll be any issues!

Think so, I've not been involved in editing MA, and my wiki-fu is weak but I'll learn.

Thank you! These are pretty decent images so it'd be useful to add them to Gineipaedia... but we need to get this guy's permission first. :/ I'm not conversational in Japanese, though — are you?

No unfortunately. Sad

K, if it can be sourced i am down. Citations of episodes would be brilliant for these if we can find them of course

Sure, that'll be pretty easy - I have an ongoing thread in my home from (stardestroyer.net) where I chronicle the battles of LOGH with screenshots, and because I'm a ship-fetishist I always note the appearances of ship types. I update about once a month, only reason its not faster is to give Central Anime time to finish the DVD rips (refuse to use LD rip screenshots, too ugly).

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  kine Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Think so, I've not been involved in editing MA, and my wiki-fu is weak but I'll learn.
Well, i've tried to do my best with the policy articles; hopefully they should answer most questions. If you have any suggestions or anything, i'm of course open to hearing them

No unfortunately.
:/\/\/\/\/

Sure, that'll be pretty easy - I have an ongoing thread in my home from (stardestroyer.net) where I chronicle the battles of LOGH with screenshots, and because I'm a ship-fetishist I always note the appearances of ship types. I update about once a month, only reason its not faster is to give Central Anime time to finish the DVD rips (refuse to use LD rip screenshots, too ugly).
I have been following! I've even used it a few times to find citations and subtitles and things

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Vympel Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Ah cool - that gives me an idea - I'm going to put explicit episode number references in from now on.

Vympel
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  kine Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:24 pm

Rad

PS: I've made some polls regarding policy changes Canary and i had discussed; if you could, let us know your opinion:

(Maybe add your opinion to the starzone one too)

Feel free to bring up anything else you take issue with obv

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum