Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi, is Gineipaedia still alive and in progress to completeness someday or?

2 posters

Go down

Hi, is Gineipaedia still alive and in progress to completeness someday or? Empty Hi, is Gineipaedia still alive and in progress to completeness someday or?

Post  3island18 Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:05 am

Hello, guys. I've been lurking around the Gineipaedia site for some times. Was gonna say hello on one of the admins talk page, then I saw the forum link in the front page (silly me). So I prepared a pretty long self-intro (rants?) and some suggestions on adding the characters which still haven't got their pages on the site. But then, I decided to read all posts on this forum post first so I wouldn't sound like an idiot.

So Gineipaedia has been on the net since 2010, and I enjoyed the admins' posts about how they thought of ideas to improve the site, especially on the site name, though I didn't see the complete story on how was the name evolved from Yang Wenli Wikia to Gineipaedia. There's gotta be some creative process involved Smile Also that Minnesota spammer... funny.

My question is: so, is the work on the site still progressing? Last entry was 2013 March 10th by Irancundus, and then 2 new registered users including me, so I think and hope it is. I hope you guys aren't in super long hibernation or something, that would be just my rotten luck :p Since there are literally only the admins posting in the forums, with 34 members which only a few were actually posted, short ones too at that, I fear... super long hibernation LOL.

Anyway, here's my previously prepared self-intro for you guys. I just put it on my FB page instead so it won't pollute this forum, coz... I saw the posts here aren't "that" long. My bad habit of writing wall of texts on something I fond of... can't control it.

[New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.]

Basically, I'm thinking to hang around a bit here, talk about LOGH and stuffs. My main aim is that sub-editing with correctly spelled names. At first I thought I would just silently "steal" the names from you guys' site, then give a big credits like, "All correctly spelled names taken from Gineipedia.com, the biggest internet database of LOGH in the world. Thank them, praise them, visit the site now if you dare to call yourselves a LOGH fan." LOL But then I realized that the site is still in progress to become something brilliant. There are still things here and there waiting to be improved.

I dunno if I can help much. I'm mostly just a proper name hunter for my sub-editing project sake... (yet another attempt at LOGH sub re-edit?). If you read my self-intro up there, (and plz do skim through it if you don't mind, as at the bottom part there's a list of FPA characters which their pages still haven't included in the site yet, hope it helps), I understand Japanese, pretty good at Kanji, so... I dunno? I might be have some use for you guys? Coz I read several posts in the forum that you need somebody good in Japanese or something for... something? Then I'm gladly at your service. But plz keep in mind that my internet isn't so godly, and I don't online like, 24/7, coz I got my job and life (which sucks anyway) :p Plus the internet doesn't come cheap here (but I'll manage). And there may be a tiny language-barrier, ie. though I understand the Kanji stuffs in my mind in my own language, I might be having a slightly hard moment to translate it/construct the sentences into a cool and proper English word/sentence like an English native speaker, so I'm hoping for corrections from and discussion with you guys, the English native speakers.

Anyway, glad to found a new lair of LOGH fans to hang around with. Waiting for the good reply and I hope we can help each other.

From you guys, who I believe Western guys who have encountered those names in your everyday life thus making you good correctors, I only want those real-life names, especially the German ones which I know zilch, are checked for their correct spelling to satisfy my pedantic bastard self Smile Not only the characters, also ships, planets, starzones, and places as they're using many names from mystical legends and stuffs. Dagon, Vithar, Beowulf, etc. Roman/Nordic/Jewish gods/demons which I only know so little... I only know Shiva and Krishna well (CA: Kulishuna... *cough*), and that's Hindu ie. (South)Asian :/

As for me, just... order me around what you guys want me to do, and I'll do it if I can. Maybe I'll add some info on the Chinese names... Fāng Qiūlín aka. Fang Tchewling, Chen, etc. Actually I got some question on the Chinese DVD subs... 林帕歐 (Lín Pà'ōu) for Lin Pao, and 楊威利 (Yáng Wēilì) for Yang Wenli, notice that it's "wei" not "wen". Where did you guys get that? Sorry, I never watch LOGH in Chinese subs.

Okay, Bye for now. Can't wait for your response. Thank you for reading and I'm sorry it turned out to be long... again...

3island18
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Back to top Go down

Hi, is Gineipaedia still alive and in progress to completeness someday or? Empty [New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.]

Post  3island18 Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:07 am

[New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.]

Oops, hahah, forgot that :p Sorry, maybe I should PM one of you guys for the link? I dunno if reading my message up there without reading my self-intro would... make sense... Sorry for the trouble. My mistake Sad

Will be back tomorrow to check for reply. Cheers. cheers

3island18
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Back to top Go down

Hi, is Gineipaedia still alive and in progress to completeness someday or? Empty Re: Hi, is Gineipaedia still alive and in progress to completeness someday or?

Post  kine Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:31 am

Hi there!

We are still alive, although it is slower than it once was. We had some really huge and fruitful periods of work in 2011, but then Canary and i had life things, and i think Vympel and Iracundus's progress slowed slightly when the momentum dropped (although they've both been doing a lot of work still). Glacierfairy has also put an enormous amount of effort into music and episode documentation over the last 6 months.

Our main issue is that you need a certain critical mass to feel like your work is fruitful, and LOGH being so niche in the English-speaking world has dimmed that slightly.

As far as your interest in names, it is one that i share. The origins of the names (and the differences between the different releases) was one of my major areas of research.

Iracundus is the Chinese expert, however.

Anyway, feel free to get involved. Let us know if you have any questions (the wiki is probably better than the forum, i'm not sure how regularly the others check here)

kine
Gineipaedia Staff
Gineipaedia Staff

Back to top Go down

Hi, is Gineipaedia still alive and in progress to completeness someday or? Empty Re: Hi, is Gineipaedia still alive and in progress to completeness someday or?

Post  3island18 Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. Okay, will discuss things further on the talk pages of the Wiki instead of here. Though I'm not sure how long should be a message is allowed in the talk page?

Okay, so I want to get involved. But what should I do exactly LOL? I read the To Do page, and I think those are out of my ability range. Need more time to get myself accustomed with the Wiki system and technical stuffs as I juggle my time between my supposed sub-editing project and my boring real life and job. What I have in mind is, you need something, you tell me to do it, I'll do it and report back with the result. Let the technical Wiki stuffs, such as adding pages, editing, etc. to the professionals I say, namely you guys Smile Just message me if you need something especially on Japanese or Chinese translation, and I'll see to it.

For now, I'll just continue reading Gineipaedia pages and collect data, already finished around 150 pages, 900+ more to go Smile And I'll occasionally report to you on the talk page of things like, list of characters/planets/starzones/vessels which are left out, ie. still haven't got their own page in the Wiki. After this, I'll send a message containing the list of FPA characters who still haven't included in the Wiki. I found around 41 characters.

Expecting good name spelling correction and the neat background info on the newly added pages. Just keep em coming. Food for my thought.

3island18
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down